Google
WWW Open Letters

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Darfur Peace and Accountability Act of 2005, S. 1462, H.R. 3127

Dear Sen. Chambliss, Sen. Isakson, Rep. McKinney,

I am writing to ask that you cosponsor the Darfur Peace and Accountability Act of 2005, S. 1462/H.R.3127. This legislation would help expand and strengthen the African Union mission to better protect civilians, impose focused sanctions on individuals responsible for atrocities in Darfur, and support peace negotiations to resolve the conflict.

Numerous Sudanese people live near my church in Decatur, and a group of them spoke there recently. Their descriptions of life and death in Darfur encouraged me to act in support of this bill. I hope you will lend your support as well.

The crisis in the Darfur region of Sudan has received very little attention in recent months. Yet, security for the people of Darfur is not improving. Uncontrolled militias and rebel groups continue to attack civilians, harass humanitarian workers, beat and rape women and girls, and block delivery of critical aid supplies. Hundreds of thousands of people have been killed, and over 2 million people remain displaced by the ongoing violence. Drought and famine threaten millions of desperate people already suffering under the continuing genocide.

The U.S. and the international community must do more. I urge you to add your name as a cosponsor to the Darfur Peace and Accountability Act of 2005 (S. 1462/H.R.3127). Please let me know what your decision will be in this regard, as I’d like to pass that information on to others in my community. I look forward to hearing your response.

Sincerely,

Karama C. Neal

1 Comments:

Blogger Karama said...

For more information on the bills and the genocide in Sudan, please click the links in the letter.

When you write your letter, be sure to modify the text to fit your experience and your district and include only the relevant bill number.

I'll post responses from my elected official if/when they arrive.

October 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home